Dragonfly Of Mari
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mabinogi's Dragonfly~ Full of fun, interesting.. People!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

A Guide to Music Mark-up Language

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Pikochu

Pikochu

A Guide to Music Mark-up Language Empty
PostSubject: A Guide to Music Mark-up Language   A Guide to Music Mark-up Language EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 7:20 pm

For those of you out there who want to contribute to Mabinogi's slowly expanding library of music, this thread is for you.

ITT: You will learn how to use Music Mark-up Language (MML) and little bits of music theory

Before we can learn any bit of how to use MML, you must know what it is. So:

Music Mark-up Language (MML) - an encoded music which uses letters, numbers, and select symbols (+,-,#) to produce sound

But what is music?

Music is organized sound produced by instrument (may be pitched or non-pitched) or voice.

Next, we move onto the notes you are allowed to use:

a, b, c, d, e, f, g

Each of the above letters will produce a sound. So, before we move on, let's sort out distances before things become a little complicated. For the sake of ease, we'll use C as the base pitch.

C - D is a Major 2nd apart

C - E or F- is a Major 3rd apart

C - E# or F is a Perfect 4th apart (I'll go over why it's Perfect later)

C - G is a Perfect 5th apart

C - A is a Major 6th apart

C - B is a Major Seventh apart

C - C is an octave apart (provided the second C is raised using the octave code or >)

Now, as you noticed so far, there's two specific names for each distance: Major and Perfect. The reason this is so is because of what happens if you invert the base note.
Say we make D the base and it's reaching up to C, that would be a minor 7th. If we make A the base and it's reaching up to C, that would be a minor third. The basic rule here is that Major distances will be inverted into minor distances.
However, let's try the perfects. If G is the base and it's reaching up to C, that's a Perfect 4th. If we put F as the base and it's reaching up to C, that's a Perfect 5th. In this case, a Perfect distance will be inverted into a Perfect distance.

However, wouldn't it be boring if we could only use the above 7? This is where accidentals come in.

Accidental - a symbol placed directly next to a note (in MML it would be x+ as an example) in order to lower, or raise the note value

Some examples: f#, c-, a-, d+

A sharp sign raises the value of a note by one half step.
# or + would be used in the place of a sharp sign.

A flat sign lowers the value of a note by one half step.
- would be used in the place of a flat sign.

So, with that said, we have new distances to add to our list. We'll use C again as our base.

C - C# or D- is a minor 2nd apart

C - D# or E- is a minor 3rd apart

C - F# or G- is an augmented 4th or diminished 5th apart (I like to call this a Tri-tone)

C - G# or A- is a minor 6th or augmented 5th apart

C - A# or B- is a minor 7th apart

Applying the inversion of the rule we shown above, all the minor distances become Major if we invert them. So, C# to C is a Major 7th. A- to C is a Major 6th.
The Augmented and diminished distance is a bit complicated, so we'll save that for later.

This is all I'll post for now. I'll add on with the tree of note values next as well as the pattern to make a scale next post. That will be next Monday. If there's anything you're confused about, please post.
Back to top Go down
Toasty

Toasty

A Guide to Music Mark-up Language Empty
PostSubject: wowza!   A Guide to Music Mark-up Language EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 9:30 pm

piko u never cease to amaze me I love you
Back to top Go down

A Guide to Music Mark-up Language
Page 1 of 1